The Coudray Tower
Built by Philip Augustus after the siege of 1205, the Coudray Tower is the most imposing defensive tower on the site.
Equipped with arrow slits on three levels, the tower was protected by a double portcullis and a drawbridge that controlled access to the fort at Coudray. Its entrance door located on the 1er floor is defended by a murder hole. In the Middle Ages, a parapet walk linked it to the terrace of the Boissy tower.
Between May and August 1308, Templar dignitaries, including the Grand Master Jacques de Molay, were imprisoned in the Fortress on the orders of Philip the Fair as part of a vast trial initiated by the King of France. The graffiti of this tower are attributed to them because of their religious theme: angel, soldier monk, wayside crosses and instruments of the Passion.